Monday, October 26, 2009

Blog Intro



Mandy:

So I was trying to write my very first blog entry and I sat and stared at the screen for hours. Trying to find the perfect way to begin had me stuck. Something about typing on a computer and you know whatever you write can be erased and done over somehow makes it harder for me to think. Since it can be changed I write, erase then re-write over and over again. So I decided to sit down with a pen and paper and amazingly my hands couldn’t stop moving. Its like the feeling of writing is so much more organic that way. I’m pretty good at typing but my thoughts flow more freely when I don’t have a cursor blinking back at me. The sad part of it all now is that I still have to go through everything I wrote and type it up onto the computer. My handwriting is so awful though so I’m still glad that I can type this up.

I guess in many ways I do appreciate a more old school way of doing things. Even though I have a digital diary I still have books I take everywhere and write my thoughts. Something about seeing it in my hands makes it real. I enjoy the sensation of holding something. Flicking through the pages, being able to sit in any position I want and enjoy the moment. One of my favorite things to do was to flip through magazines. Yes reading was very informative but I could look over a magazine 10 times in a row just to look at the pictures. I would canvas every page not having to worry about resolution or zooming in and out. Everything was right there in front of me. I could look at page 10 and page 35 at the same time.  Fold up the corners on pages I wanted to go back to, that was enjoyable for me. Looking through a magazine on a website can never fulfill me in that way. But it saves a lot of paper!

Anyway, coming in from my tangent, the idea of making something digital tangible was always something I enjoyed doing. I know putting images a t-shirt is no original idea but I love the concept of something that lived on a screen was transformed into something that a living person walks around it. A shirt with the same design will become a part of someone’s memories. It will go to the grocery store, it will go to a barbeque in the summer and under all your layers in the winter. The idea that art then becomes mobile is exciting to me. It travels to destinations a painting on a wall never will.

Upenyu has given me an outlet for my artwork where it will not be confined by 4 walls but will breathe and be free in the world, something that I want for myself.
Upenyu is my freedom.
Who knew that “life” would be so liberating.

My blog (hopefully) will not just be pages and pages of me rambling on about my perspective on life, I intend to extend my reach to all over the world and converse with a diverse range of people on their take on life. Some formal and some informal conversations just to see life from all angles.

Thank you in advance to all those who participate with me in the exploration on all the things that make life so intriguing,

No comments: